Monday, September 10, 2012

Thumbs Of Goodness (Sermon)



This is an excerpt from the very first sermon I gave as Pastor of the Grace Community Church... hopefully you will find it enlightening.


"Jesus said to his apostles: 'No more pizza pies. No more ice cold soda. No more cigarettes. No more premium gasoline.' 


Of course, he didn't really say this. But in his heart this is what he was expressing when he gave the Sermon on the Mount, a great speech that revealed some wonderful truths to us. Truths that help us find our way when the road is a rocky road.

Let us say you are a newcomer to a strange land... for example, you may be of Asian descent and trying to gain acceptance in a rural community. You may be taunted and shouted at. You might find that the windows of your Honda have been smashed, or that someone keeps putting sushi in your mailbox. Perhaps it's a warning. Perhaps it's just a confused postman.

But even when you face such hardships you should not lose faith, because Jesus has said that those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness: for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. I been persecuted. Does that mean that the Kingdom of Heaven will literally be mine? Yes. And I will be very strict about who I let in. We will be safe inside steel-reinforced gates, living on a cloud but with much security carts that monitor the perimeter so that unauthorized visitors do not try to sneak in. They will be roasted.

Many of you in the parish are currently making obscene gestures to me. My eyes may be slanted but they still can see good. I believe in time those fingers you are flashing will be replaced by thumbs, thumbs of goodness, thumbs pointing upward giving me the approval that I seek. 


I believe that one day you will accept me as your equal, and you will see that my only mission is to put God's Love into your hearts, so that you may spread it as rampantly as you spread intolerance. In the meantime I will keep a smile on my face and continue to enjoy the delicious mystery of the mailbox sushi... and the delicious mystery of the Lord. Let us pray..."




No comments:

Post a Comment